roll mouse over for then and now
|Marx-Engels-Forum is a public park in the central Mitte district of Berlin, the capital of Germany. It is named for Karl Marx and Friedrich Engels, authors of The Communist Manifesto of 1848 and regarded as the founders of the Communist movement. The park was created by the authorities of the former German Democratic Republic (GDR) in 1986.
The Marx-Engels-Forum lies on the eastern bank of the Spree river. It is bound to the south-west by the river, to the north-west by Karl-Liebknecht-Strasse, to the north-east by Spandauer Strasse and to the south-east by Rathausstrasse obliquely opposite of the Rotes Rathaus. Across the river it faces the site formerly occupied by the Palast der Republik (now demolished) and the Berliner Stadtschloss.
Before World War II the area now occupied by Marx-Engels-Forum was a densely populated Old Town quarter between the river and Alexanderplatz, named after a street called Heiligegeiststrasse (Holy Ghost Street) which ran across it between Kaiser-Wilhelm-Strasse (now Karl-Liebknecht-Strasse) and Rathausstrasse. The area including the main post office was heavily bombed during Allied air attacks in 1944/45 and most of its buildings reduced to ruins. After the war the ruins were cleared but nothing replaced them. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marx-Engels_Forum